Sunday, December 29, 2013

True Stories: A Duck among Swans

This is the true story of a friend of mine who would like to remain anonymous. She has a few things to say about her experiences with bullying in public schools. (Note: this story isn't about me. Unlike I, who am homeschooled, my friend goes to public school and has been gracious enough to allow me to quote her on my blog since her story is relevant to its subject matter.)

"Everyone is bullied at some point in their lives, whether it be verbal or physical. Even the bullies are and will be bullied. The strange thing is, there’s never a valid reason.
Now you may be thinking 'I wear glasses, that’s a good reason' (I thought that at one point) or something along those lines. Well, let me tell you, it's not! Just because you're different does not give them all inclusive rights to pound you to the ground.
Some people say the best thing to do is to ignore it, to let it roll off your back. I personally think that’s a good idea, but doesn't always work. (If it does work, by all means, use it!)
I've been bullied before in some pretty strange ways. Never actually slapped, more… ignored. The worst kind of bullying. Talking to someone and the only thing they say is “Go away” or not say anything at all. It can hurt a lot more than you think. I was new to school one year, I had been home-schooled up to that year. I had got a wonderful education, sometimes above grade level- but the thing I didn't learn was how to interact with different varieties of people and what they were into. (I’m actually kind of glad. It allowed me to grow up uninfluenced by different cultural poisons [like Barbies],) So… when I went to public school I was considered 'different' just because I didn't like mainstream music and style. (I’ll admit, there were two or three people that did become my friend.)
People were never physically abusive to me, they just wouldn't hang out with me and or, sometimes they wouldn't even talk to me. There was this one girl who would always hang out with me but she would always try to overshadow me or try to make me feel less than. I could never figure out why.
Now that all of that is over and I have a small group of good friends I still feel as though I don't fit in, almost like a duck in a group of swans.
What I've taken away from all of this is just be yourself. Those who like you for who you are, are worth your time and friendship.  Like Tom Hiddleston says, 'Never stop. Never stop fighting. Never stop dreaming. And don't be afraid of wearing your heart on your sleeve - in declaring the films that you love, the films that you want, to make, the life that you've had, and the lives you can help reflect in cinema. For myself, for a long time... Maybe I felt inauthentic or something, I felt like my voice wasn't worth hearing, and I think everyone's voice is worth hearing. So if you've got something to say, say it from the rooftops.'"
 -- T. F.

Thanks for reading, and please spread the word about the World Improvement Project.
Yours, Lily Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment